miércoles, 7 de noviembre de 2012

Good Things
Luke 11, 9-13 (english amplified bible)


So I say to you, Ask and keep on asking and it shall be given you; seek and keep on seeking and you shall find; knock and keep on knocking and the door shall be opened to you.
10 For everyone who asks and keeps on asking receives; and he who seeks and keeps on seeking finds; and to him who knocks and keeps on knocking, the door shall be opened.
11 What father among you, if his son asks for a loaf of bread, will give him a stone; or if he asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
13 If you then, evil as you are, know how to give good gifts [gifts that are to their advantage] to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask and continue to ask Him!


   Hi all! Sorry it took me this long to post a new verse. It's been hectic around here with the moving and all.

  I chose this because it was something I stumbled upon at a time when I wasn't sure if God listened to us. I wanted to pray for my family's safety and wasn't sure if I had the right to... you know all that about God's will and such. Ever since I was a little girl I've heard people explaining tragedies and bad things in general as "god's will". If those things are His will, then what right do we have to ask him differently? Or is it some kind of contest to see if we can "convince" him otherwise?
  So I went to my bible and one of the first things I found was this. And it gave me great peace.
  I thought that if God is our loving father, then his WILL must be always good. Perhaps natural disasters and crimes and disease are just part of the world we live in, but certainly not something he chooses to send upon our heads, you know?

2 comentarios:

  1. As a personal anecdote about prayer, there's the story of how I met my husband. It feels silly to type it down, and I can't help to tell it as a big joke. But I assure you at the time it meant lots of tears and feelings of failure.
    I always had the proverbial "bad luck" with guys. While I was a teenager I went unnoticed by boys my age. Finally at 18 some kid had a crush on me!… only to break my heart two months later…
    Through my college years and beyond I dated my share of guys, but somehow things always ended soon. As you can imagine I was an inch away from believing I was jinxed!
    One day I thought "perhaps I could… you know… pray about it?" And I did. For the first time I didn't pray about the crush of the moment. I prayed to God that he would send me the right guy at the right time (and for good measure) that we would know and not let it pass by.
    Anyways, I prayed for months, years perhaps… I was beginning to think that God wasn't listening or wanted something entirely different for me. That thought was scary... Maybe he wanted me to become a nun like my cousin (something I couldn't even imagine myself doing), or maybe he wanted me to be a spinster and die alone with my cats.

    One day I met him. At a club, of all places!!! He was 21 and I was 26. Against all odds (age difference, totally different backgrounds, my insecurities, his stubbornnes) we fell in love and married two years later.
    One day we were talking about us and we realized that if we had met sooner, it would have been nearly impossible for this to work out. I mean, 3 years earlier and he would have been in High School!!
    So, although it didn't happen in my own terms (which in retrospect were quite ridiculous), he was the right guy at the right time… just like I asked.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Great story.

    This is actually a passage I needed right now. We had been talking to some one recently about the effect of positive thinking and prayer. Now we have little sayings and prayers taped up around the house.

    I think I may print this out on some nice paper and frame it and hang it up as a reminder.

    ResponderEliminar