domingo, 30 de septiembre de 2012

Micah Chapter 6, Verse 8

He has showed you, O man, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God. 

This  is a small excerpt of a larger chapter when God was chastising Israel - but the message in verse 8 is so strong.  

My son is constantly asking me what it means to have faith and to live his life as God commands.  We go over several examples, but I have been coming back to this one lately - not just for him, but for me.  I struggle with being non-judgmental (what mother doesn't consider her parenting superior?!), merciful AND humble.  

I've been reflecting on this so much and working to bring these qualities into my daily life and especially my walk with God.  The more I learn, it seems the less I know!

2 comentarios:

  1. I loved this!!!
    It's so simple, very hard sometimes, but very simple!

    I feel that Christians in general (and Catholics in particular) sometimes get lost in all the "rules", much like it happened to some Jews in times of Jesus.

    All of us sometimes make the mistake of thinking that to "act justly" is about following the law to the last letter. And we judge others when they act different from our personal set of rules and beliefs (which aren't always the same as God's) But if you are truly merciful to others (and yourself) and humble in God, that alone will balance your thoughts and actions.


    Thanks Jules. It really inspired us.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. The part that jumps out to me is the command to walk humbly with God. It's not just about going on without self-importance. It is more than that. It is walking in God's presence while submitting to Him and His will in all things. I can picture a child walking hand-in-hand with a parent. The child must go where the parent leads. The child's desires have to be put aside for a time while the parent guides his or her footsteps. The child can squirm and resist--trying to assert his or her will despite the leading parent, but such a stuggle would make the journey painful for both the child and the parent. Submission to God's leadership is difficult. It takes an amount of humility that doesn't come naturally for most of us. I believe this passage isn't only asking us to have a humble heart but also to deliberately accept God's will and power over our own. ~Erica

    ResponderEliminar