martes, 25 de septiembre de 2012

1 John 4

God’s Love and Ours

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
13 This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. 15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. 16 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.
God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. 17 This is how love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment: In this world we are like Jesus. 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
19 We love because he first loved us. 20 Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. 21 And he has given us this command: Anyone who loves God must also love their brother and sister.

2 comentarios:

  1. After a looooot of thinking I chose this particular text.
    The reason is probably that I am asking to myself about "where is God", and this gives me some food for thought.
    Also, that I've always struggled with the First Commandment about loving God above everything else. The other 9 are pretty easy to understand (if not to follow sometimes), but that first one... I always thought that it was almost impossible to love someone you have never seen or touched. Yes, we've all felt God's "touch" in our lives. But to me that can hardly compete with my husband's kisses, my parents' hugs or my kids existence!
    And then I remembered that years ago I asked this same question to a priest during confession, and he said to me "well, it's pretty hard to love an "idea", but God isn't just a thought, he lives in all of us. By loving others, you are loving Him".

    ResponderEliminar
  2. when you think about the condition of "belief" the world over, everyone seems to believe in "something." We were clearly created and designed for faith.
    I so totally agree about the First Commandment - I let so many things get right in front of God sometimes. My family can easily reach "idol" status. It's a struggle mentally to say: "Right now, I am chosing God" when you have a baby pulling your hair out!
    I pray that we all feel His presence and we all keep Him at the forefront of our lives and goals today and every day!! Good call, Mari!

    ResponderEliminar